Thursday, August 9, 2012

Poste Moderne Brasserie – Bloody Mary Review

The Bloody Mary was invented in the late 1940s and its original ingredients are: Vodka, tomato juice, Tabasco, cayenne pepper, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt and lemon juice. That is a pretty simple concoction right? Well it is definitely a more advanced experience at Poste Moderne Brasserie. I love a “build your own” Bloody Mary bar on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Poste has the best Bloody Mary bar in the DC area, hands down. At $8 each, it is a pittance to pay when you consider the following:

1) You have a choice of three delicious house infused vodkas (bacon infused, habanero garlic infused, and chili horseradish infused vodkas)

2) They make their own Bloody Mary mix

3) They offer a dozen different pickles for garnish (almost all of them are homemade)


When I go to Poste for brunch I typically have the bacon infused vodka in my Bloody Mary, but this time I ordered the habanero garlic infused vodka instead. The bartender gave me a glass of ice with a generous pour of the liquor. The vodka is good on its own. You get the heat as well as the fruitiness of the habanero pepper combined with the rich flavor of the garlic.


Next I took my glass to the counter to build my perfect Bloody Mary. I used the house mix, which is very zesty without being too overbearing. I made sure to leave room for the plethora of garnishes I had to choose from.


Poste Moderne Brasserie - Build your own Bloody Mary Bar

Build your own Bloody Mary Bar



The pickles alone would rival any pickle plate at a DC restaurant. There must have been over a dozen different house-made pickles that day. Would you like a raw celery stalk or pickled celery stalk? I had both. Here are the other pickles I added: fennel, onion, jalapeno and olives. And of course, I added a couple of strips of bacon to top it off.



Here is something you won’t likely find elsewhere. The bar manager makes his own Worcestershire sauce. Do you have any idea how difficult that is? In my opinion it is also better than Lea & Perrins. I put a few dashes in my glass and it brought the drink to a whole new level. They also have some spices out in case you want to rim your glass. The homemade hot sauce, that is worth trying, reminded me of an Asian chili sauce like you might find at a Thai restaurant.


If you can find a better Bloody Mary, let me know. My money is on Poste. The Bloody Mary bar is available during brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 3pm . They also serve the Grand Mimosa with unlimited refills during brunch for $16. We also highly suggest trying their quiche. They claim their portion is “Dinosaur”. I agree. See for yourself below.


Poste Moderne Brasserie - Quiche




The post Poste Moderne Brasserie – Bloody Mary Review appeared first on Cloture Club.


No comments:

Post a Comment